Friday, February 23, 2007

Drug Error By Dr Rajendram

Hello My Friends

Those of you who know me, also know how lucky I was not to die at the start of this year - heres the story that was published in the local free newspaper following my

‘Drug error could have killed me’

DEADLY dose: Jayne Taylor was left fighting for life after being prescribed antibiotics she was allergic to.DEADLY dose: Jayne Taylor was left fighting for life after being prescribed antibiotics she was allergic to.

A WOMAN allergic to penicillin was left fighting for life after a doctor allegedly gave her antibiotics containing the drug.

Jayne Taylor, 37, went into anaphylactic shock after being treated by the emergency GP. He worked for out-of-hours medical service Go To Doc.

She claims to have told him four times she was allergic to penicillin before it was prescribed.

The GP, Dr Saddanather Rajendram, has since been suspended pending an inquiry.

David Beckett, Go To Doc chief executive, said: "We have withdrawn any shifts available to Dr Rajendram due to the nature of the allegations. We are following our complaints procedure and are working to gather evidence from all parties involved."

Ms Taylor’s nightmare began on New Year’s Day when, unable to shake off a heavy cold and rattling cough, she phoned NHS Direct. A nurse put her in touch with Go To Doc in Stockport Road, Ashton — an out-of-hours surgery for patients in Tameside — and told her to await a call.

Dr Rajendram phoned and told Ms Taylor to attend the surgery immediately. She claims he asked if she was allergic to anything, to which she replied penicillin.

She arrived 30 minutes later, wheezing and short of breath.

She said: "After listening to my lungs he told me I had severe bronchitis."

Ms Taylor claims Dr Rajendram handed her two capsules to ease the symptoms overnight and made out a prescription for antibiotics.

Ms Taylor, who runs her own business, added: "The next day I began to deteriorate. By 3.30pm I felt like I was drowning and couldn’t breathe. Then I suddenly noticed on the box that the antibiotics were amoxicillin and contained penicillin. I was aghast.

"I phoned my parents who were there in minutes but by then I had collapsed on the stairs and was turning blue."

Paramedics arrived and immediately injected her with a lifesaving shot of adrenaline. They confirmed she was suffering from anaphylactic shock. She was taken to hospital and put on steroids, adrenaline, anti-histamine and oxygen. She added: "I’m slowly recovering but if this had happened to an elderly person I doubt they’d have survived."


First published by the Tameside Advertiser

From Your Very Lucky To Be Alive Friend The Energy Angel

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home